Thursday, May 14, 2009

German for Grammar

Now that I am officially re-admitted to the PhD program, one of my first and major tasks is to pass my foreign language requirement.

In my first go-round, my Swedish experience was recent enough that I passed. Now, however, I am committed to learning German. I took German a long time ago, but fortunately I have a few of the books around - including a dictionary.

While the vocabulary is of course important - I'll need to build and learn words everyday - the grammar will be the key element for me to master.

Let's get started.
  • German has three classes of gender for nouns: masculine, feminine and neuter.
  • The language has four classes of definite article: der (masc.), die (fem.), das (neut.) and die (plural).
  • Present tense of sein (to be): ich bin, du bist, er ist, sie ist, es ist, wir sind, ihr seid, sie sind, Sie sind.
  • Pas tense of sein: ich war, du warst, er war, sie war, es war, wir waren, ihr wart, sie waren, Sie waren.
Some sentences:
  1. Die Erde hat sieben Kontinente.
  2. Sein oder Nichtsein, das ist hier die Frage.
  3. Der Student is willig, aber er ist nicht sehr intelligent.
  4. Ein Dreieck hat drei Seiten und drei Winkel.
  5. Wohin gehen Sie?

No comments: