Sunday, June 5, 2011

Why I'll Use Python to Set Up My Markov Program


I am not a computer programmer. The best I can do is some HTML tagging and a few macros in Microsoft Word and Excel.

However, to run the planned (or, to-be-planned) Markov simulation for my dissertation project, I will need to use some programming language. Python will be that language.

I chose Python for several reasons:
  • It's free and well documented.
  • It runs everywhere.
  • It's widely used.
  • It's well supported.
I am using two books as primary resources on programming in Python:
  1. Campbell, Jennifer, Paul Gries, Jason Montojo, and Greg Wilson. Practical Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science using Python. The Pragmatic Bookshelf, 2009. Print.
  2. Bird, Steven, Ewan Klein, and Edward Loper. Natural Language Processing with Python. Beijing: O'Reilly Media, 2009. Print.

4 comments:

joycewvu said...

Paul is very familiar with Python. Let him know if you have any questions. Good luck!

Jon Myerov said...

Thanks! I'll be sure to ask him if I have questions.

Patrick Conner said...

Picture should be of Terry Jones.

Gooly said...

Actually, if you can program in Python you should be able to program in c and java with just a little effort. It's not like learning a second nature language. Most programming languages are similar.